So, I put PJ’s new bridle on today. In hindsight I should have gotten a horse size – maybe. Usually, horse-sized bridles are too big and then the buckles are too high up on his head and I can’t adjust the bit correctly. That’s why I got a cob sized. But I should have thought about where I was buying it from – Schneider’s Saddlery, which caters to QH and Arabian people, so their cob size is actually a cob size. Oh well. Leather does stretch and I could get it on without it being too tight, so maybe I’m okay.
I could put the bit higher in his mouth, which is one of the things I wanted to play with, and it did stop him from chomping the bit or maybe it was the tighter noseband. However, he was VERY heavy in the contact – more on the left than the right. He went from light to heavy. I don’t think that’s a good thing. The next time I ride I’m going to lower the bit a little. There are so many variables to take into consideration – horse on a given day, me and my hands, bridle, bit, stuff going on…
On that note, today may not have been the best day to play with new equipment. There was a Pony Club rally at the farm and there were new people and ponies everywhere. It was a little too much for PJ to handle. It took forever to get him to concentrate even for a little bit.
I’m not having a lesson on Tuesday because Barbara is flying down to Florida so she can drive back up with her daughter who is bringing her horse back from Wellington (where she did extremely well). I’ll play around some more then.