…Go with your gut.
I’m having another blanket panic session. On Sunday it was so cold and windy that I put an extra layer on PJ, so he had a heavy weight turnout with a nylon sheet under it. Perfect. I couldn’t get to the barn on Monday but figured it was still on the cold side, so he would be fine. Yesterday I had planned on switching him to his medium weight turnout only because it was supposed to be 50 deg today (Wed) and I knew I couldn’t make it.
Well… Maryann and I were talking about what to put on them. Her horse isn’t clipped at all, and she decided to put on his medium. Instead of going with my instinct, which was PJ’s medium, I took what she said and based my decision on that. Because PJ is clipped, I left his heavyweight on. I think he’s going to be too hot today. I think he was too hot yesterday. I won’t be able to get to the barn until Thursday afternoon for my lesson, so he’s going to be hot tomorrow. I know, not the end of the world, and I’ve solidified a valuable lesson.
Update: Okay, so it’s 2:30 and guess what? It’s not all that warm out. I think he’s fine. A new lesson…Don’t panic at 6:30 in the morning.